3 Twitter Monetization Models to Make Money with Twitter

by Vishal Sanjay · 40 comments

This is a Guest Post by Vishal Sanjay of DumbLittleBlogger.

Twitter is one of the places online which receive the most buzz, they say over 17 million users register with Twitter every month and as usual these kinds of sites become a promotional tools for marketers. There are many web and non – web companies promoting themselves on Twitter, some of them include Dell, CNN and Wall Street Journal.
Many people are trying to the buzz of Twitter and this race has given birth to many third party Twitter apps for doing so. They say Dell makes 4 sales every minute using Twitter and it is true.

I started using Twitter like 4 months ago and I’ve already got plenty of followers and upto 10 – 20 people read every tweet I make. Now, the question is, how can this buzz help you to fill up your pockets?

This guide will give you different models of monetization with their advantages and disadvantages.

Direct advertising

If you are a famous person or own a well known business you can sell your followership to internet marketers. Recently Darren Rowse, started Pay-Per-Tweet advertising and he sells it all on his own. For doing this you’ll need a good reputation and a followership. There are rare chances of advertisers contacting you through Twitter, so you may have to create a blog for selling your services.

You should choose the prices according to your followers and their readership rate as up to 50% of your followers can be spammers. I’d advice you start of with as low as $0.01 a tweet, as this can bring you awareness and a firm platform. Do not Tweet out only advertisements as this may cause you to loose advertisers.

Affiliate marketing

This is the easiest and the most efficient way of monetizeing your account, as affiliate click through rates are high on Twitter. This is the idea which everyone is looking into as if you are not a well known personalty finding advertisers can be tough. Finding affiliate programs are easy and almost every product or service has a payout of up to 20% – 60%. For getting good results their are some factors to consider,

• Cloaking affiliate links – Your followers should not know that what you just tweeted is an affiliate link, cloak your URLs with URL shorteners.
  • Creating landing pages – If you give a lin directly to your affiliates site then there will be click throughs but no one would buy or sign up for anything. Create a landing page describing you affiliates product in one or more pages
  • Equal proportion – Your tweeting of affiliate links should be like 1 affiliate link for every 10 normal tweets. This helps you to keep your followers happy.

Use a third party network

The increasing popularity of Twitter has given birth to many ad networks dedicated to Twitter advertising. There are many advantages of these ad networks as ad sales are automated and you won’t have to find advertiser’s yourself, but there are many disadvantages as well, not all of these networks allow you to choose the ads that are tweeted and you cannot maintain an equal proportion your tweets and the ads posted. I have listed some of these networks below,

(Admin NOTE: You can read their reviews in my recent blog article: 5 Best Sites to help you Make Money Online with Twitter)

About Vishal Sanjay

Hi, I'm Vishal Sanjay, a 14 year blogger and inetrnet marketer looking to make a fortune online. I am also an SEO expert and I have given service to many websites. I run 3 blogs and write on hubpages and squidoo. Check My Blog for more such tips. You can also Follow me on Twitter @dumbblogger

Visit my website →

Compute Live September 8, 2009 at 7:38 am

I have a account at SponsoredTweets, but no offer till now. It seems I have to increase my followers . 🙂
.-= Compute Live´s last blog ..Download Microsoft Office 2010 Build 14.0.4417.1000 =-.

Typhoon September 8, 2009 at 7:30 pm

Ya the situation is with me..I think the Sponsored Tweets isn’t getting much advertisers or I think the advertisers are only going with know people on twitter.

rky September 9, 2009 at 7:23 am

one advertiser from sponstwt advertised on my twitter profile i hope i will get the next one soon.
Spontwt is an izea network part and they already have lots of experience in paid to write department.I think sponsored tweet is having much better future than any other twitter monetization sites.

Surender Sharma September 9, 2009 at 9:29 pm

But I think sponsoredtweets is the best program to monetize twitter account.I have created the account on SponsoredTweets after the review of John Chow but till today not received any sponsored tweets.
.-= Surender Sharma´s last blog ..How To Display Adsense Ads After Post in Thesis Theme =-.

Typhoon September 10, 2009 at 8:01 pm

Ya I also think it is due to the support of Izea!! But yes, Not too much advertisers as of yet.

Andi September 8, 2009 at 9:57 am

Btw, for those of you active in Twitter here…do you guys actually use Twitter Search (search.twitter.com) to find answers to stuff? Just curious
.-= Andi | Web Marketer Depot´s last blog ..7 Little Known Tweaks to Improve Your Money Making Blogs =-.

Typhoon September 8, 2009 at 8:59 pm

Honestly speakin, Never tried making use of it As Twitter spam has increased so much that I doubt on that feature. I better use Google Trends for hunting niches..

Darren Rowse September 8, 2009 at 12:12 pm

Hi there – I want to clarify that I have not started Pay Per Tweet – I did an April Fools joke a couple of years back on the topic but am not behind any of these programs that are now out there doing this type of thing.
.-= Darren Rowse´s last blog ..The State of the Darren-Sphere =-.

Home affiliate September 8, 2009 at 10:08 pm

Wow! congrats Vishal and Shushant. You had Mr. Darren Rowse “the great” commented on your blog. You guys rock! Only though, he corrected something. But, its really awesome that you were able to caught his attention. Cheers to you guys.
.-= Home affiliate´s last blog ..Do you blog for people or for google? =-.

lucifer September 8, 2009 at 8:17 pm

Can anyone tell me hw can i write as a guest on this blog…
.-= lucifer´s last blog ..Hey i Got 1.96$ this time =-.

Typhoon September 8, 2009 at 8:50 pm

You can see the information of it here: http://www.smartbloggerz.com/write-for-us/

lucifer September 9, 2009 at 7:22 pm

hey thanks and i read that and if i get a good topic i will do write one as a guest writer 🙂
.-= lucifer´s last blog ..Hey i Got 1.96$ this time =-.

Typhoon September 10, 2009 at 8:02 pm

Ya, sure..Will be waiting for your article submission 🙂

Trey - Swollen Thumb Entertainment September 9, 2009 at 1:42 am

Hi Vishal. I think that Twitter can be used very effectively for monetizing, and eventually, it’s going to evolve and get even better!

I like your advice about only having one affiliate link for every 10 tweets. Whenever I notice that someone is only sending out affiliate links, I either do not follow them, or unfollow them. So yeah, it’s a good thing to pepper in some personality in your selling tactics.
.-= Trey – Swollen Thumb Entertainment´s last blog ..New Category: Blogging World =-.

Albert Fang September 10, 2009 at 9:12 am

I thought this was a guest post from the DumbLittleMan but it was the DumbLittleBlogger. Lol.
.-= Albert Fang´s last blog ..Ways for Teens to Make Money =-.

Typhoon September 10, 2009 at 7:26 pm

No no..It’s from Vishal Sanjay of DumbLittleBlogger.Blogspot.com

Amyrhiz September 10, 2009 at 12:26 pm

Wow..it’s really good to know that we can make money from Twitter. 🙂

Typhoon September 10, 2009 at 7:25 pm

Nice to see that you now know the secret of making money with Twitter but remember that don’t be excessive in it.

Online shop hosting September 14, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Great post! Getting dedicated followers work greatly on twitter, once you are able to have a large number of followers on Twitter, you’ll be surprised how many people will click your tweet links and will go to your blog to read the full story and even contribute their own comments.
To make real money, You need to offer a real item or service and then find people interested in it..
.-= Online shop hosting´s last blog ..F.A.Q =-.

Duia May 16, 2010 at 4:17 pm

If we have many followers on Twitter, obviously, we can make much money by Affiliate marketing, direct advertising, etc. But for most Twitter users, it is really difficult to make money there because they can’t gain as many as followers.
.-= Duia´s last blog ..Online Business Directories Vs Printed Directories – 4 Advantages for Business Owners =-.