8 Reasons You Won’t Succeed at Writing That Post

by liorl · 30 comments

This is a guest post by Lior who is a web consultant sharing writing tips in this post. Follow him on Twitter @liorl

If you have the aspirations to be a great blog writer it is really not all that difficult, but there are ground rules that you need to follow in order to be successful at it.

There are several common mistakes that new writers often make, and if you avoid them it can mean the difference of you being an average writer or a great writer.

Being Distracted

If your computer that you are utilizing for your writing is set up in the family rec. room which happens to be the hub of your residential activity, there is no way you will be able to focus on what you are writing.

Unable To Concentrate

If you are dealing with personal issues which are not allowing you to have a free mind with your writing, then you are going to produce inferior work because you are not giving it your best efforts.

Not Feeling Well

Trying to write when you are unwell or tired can be a disaster. Your body cannot function at its best. Not only will your writing not have an interesting flow to it, you will make several grammar and perhaps spelling errors. Even if you attempt to proofread your work while in this state, chances are you will miss something.

Multi Tasking is Not a Good Idea

If you are trying to do several things at once and one of these writing, then it is the writing that will most likely suffer the most. Every time you leave your writing to attend to something else you are breaking your train of thought. It does not just return automatically when you sit down to start writing again.

Don’t Attempt to Write When you are Rushed

If you are committed to having to go somewhere and this means you must rush to complete your article or blog, then you are far better to put it aside until you can allot the proper time for it. If you don’t, the content will not likely be what you were hoping for or perhaps the presentation will be inferior.

Don’t Take on More Than you Can Handle

Writing blogs and articles can be most stimulating and enjoyable. When it becomes a burden though because the workload is too much, then it will show in your writing. Your content will portray a “just let’s get this done”, type of attitude.

Don’t Mislead People with Inaccurate Information

No matter what you are writing, be sure that it is as accurate as possible. This most often means doing some research, and you really should keep track of the sources that you use for your material, even if you don’t list these in your post.

Don’t Create a Haphazard Working Atmosphere

If you are going to be writing articles or blogs, it doesn’t matter if you are doing it as a hobby or a business, be sure to approach it professionally. Obviously you are writing because you have something informative to say. If you want people to believe in your writing then you must be sure to come across as being credible. If you are writing with the television going, or the music is blaring, there is no way that you are going to remain focused during the duration of your writing.

There are just a few of the don’ts when it comes to article and blog writing. Hope these help with your writing efforts.

About liorl

Lior is a web consultant working with online startups and ecommerce websites

Jennifer September 25, 2010 at 8:56 pm

I think the most important problem for a new blogger is that they’re not post frequently through out time.

Grant September 25, 2010 at 10:08 pm

Never be rushed- that is one i really stick to – I have in the posted been in a hurry to get an article up because I am excited about something I have photographed that day and want to share. But I always end up having to go back to it a day or so later to change mistakes and general info that I have not put across in the correct way as I was ‘in a rush’ Thanks Grant

Usama September 28, 2010 at 5:05 pm

People think they are capable of doing everything at the same time. Multitasking can be an issue of loosing concentration. Just take one step at a time and it will be alright.

akira07 October 1, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Wanna share my story about #1 “Point Distracted”, that start from today i made an agreement with my sister and brother that their should not disturb me start from 9AM-3PM so i can focus and concentrate to my job. I’m also planned to move my computer to the private room.

Dan Lew October 2, 2010 at 8:25 am

Hey Lior,

Nice post, being distracted is one of the main difficulties in doing a post, even whilst we are posting our mind is ticking for other things to do 🙂

Roger October 4, 2010 at 5:59 pm

I have tried working while I am sick and not feeling well and your right it is disastrous. You really need to be in the right state of mind. Multi tasking is also a great way to have your post make no sense.

Henry October 7, 2010 at 7:26 pm

I definitely agree that in writing blogs, it is significant to do it professionally. You should make the people believe in your writings, as well as make them feel that it’s reliable and credible. Thanks for sharing this.

Clarice October 11, 2010 at 5:42 am

In writing blogs, it also needs professionalism because you are going to let the world see what you have wrote about. If you want to attract readers, you need to be in good condition and focus. Based on experience, I have to redo my writings when I wrote it while I’m doing other things.

Raj October 23, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Precisely I can say that internal and external distraction is cause of poor writing and lack of concentration in one main source of failure in study matters as I often say that brain wandering cause failure.

Concentration is foundation of success. Choose a place where you can construct a chain of ideas and dish up us best of your writing material.

jessi May 1, 2011 at 5:23 am

few things i would like to add up……very little research into the topic of writing,topic not of your interest/field….try to choose the topics of your interest and make research into it to collect the most informative material about it….