5 Ways To Find A Profitable Niche For Making Money Online

by Brandon Connell · 39 comments

This is a guest post by Brandon Connell who teaches how to make money blogging and more at BrandonConnell.com. In this post, he is going to be telling us 5 ways through which we can begin finding a profitable niche that will help to make money online.

Everyone knows that in order to succeed with some serious traffic and income, you have to find a winning niche. The trick is finding one that always results in a happy ending regardless of how saturated the market is.

I am about to provide you with tips on how to locate niches that will always come out on top no matter what.

1. Desperation = Success

When I talk about desperation, I am not talking about YOUR desperation to create a profitable website. I am talking about how desperate your target readers are.

It is important to look at a niche just like you would a business. You want to open up a business with a high supply and demand. A good way to realize what these niches are is to think about everyday problems that people have.

Serious human problems include but are not limited to:

• Weight loss
  • Skin and beauty
  • Relationships & dating
  • Finance and savings / investment

These seem like very competitive industries, and they are. But that really does not matter because even though these niches get flooded with new blogs and websites every day, the same if not more abandon these niches every day as well.

Remember; that overcrowding and competition has nothing to do with your success, no matter what you read online about it. All you need is some link building and a little traffic to make a niche site profitable. But the niches that become profitable with that traffic are those where the reader is desperate for a solution to an issue that they have. Are you their answer?

2. Research Isn’t Just For Journalists

You are probably a blogger if you are reading this, so you consider yourself a modern day journalist. But you do not have to be a journalist to know that you must research in order to know your target market.

Research is vital to niche site success. If you choose a niche with very little search volume and competition, you are lowering the bar way to much. If you do not want to go after an ambitious niche, then do your research and find one right in the middle with a reasonably mid-range search volume and competition level. Check out the Google Keyword Tool to get started with niche analysis.

3. Ask Your Readers

Have you even thought of asking your existing blog readers and those you network with what they would like to read or learn about?

Setup a poll, or create a new blog post telling readers that you are starting up some niche sites and need ideas. You will be surprised about how many people have an opinion on this subject.

4. Check The Products

Visit clickbank, or paydotcom, and see what products are offered in the various categories. This will give you an idea of what you will end up promoting when you start your niche sites. You may find that a product really jumps out at you, and it may give you an idea for a niche site.

I often find ideas by looking at products, and the expected commissions for those products. If it is something you can stand behind, there is no reason not to give it a shot. You don’t have to be a complete expert in the niche if you like a product. You can simply research the niche and write a few articles for that niche site, or outsource the writing on the cheap.

5. Check Your Hobbies & Skills

This may be obvious, but many people forget to check what hobbies, interests, and work history skills that they have and can share with others. Thinking of these things will bring ideas on what niches to start up.

Let’s take for example my work history. At one point in my life, I managed a Hollywood Video. On top of that, I have been in business for years by myself. With this information, I may decide to start a niche site on business management! As a matter of fact, I didn’t even think of that until I wrote this article.

Your Turn

Take a look at the ways you are deciding on niches, and how you can use the methods above to benefit your financial standing.

Share with us below additional ideas or success stories on choosing profitable niche.

Top 10 Search Terms:

• how to find a profitable niche online • how does a small niche website become profitable • how to find a profitable niche • finding a profitable niche online • how to identify a profitable website niche

About Brandon Connell

I am a blogger who teaches others how to start, operate, market, and make money blogging. You can read my blog on BrandonConnell.com and you can also follow me on twitter @Brandon_Connell.

Visit my website →

Sourish November 9, 2010 at 1:03 am

any niche where people are looking for a solution is profitable , reason they are willing to buy …

Sourish

Brandon Connell November 10, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Right on point there. Even smaller niches can be successful.

Sourish November 15, 2010 at 11:31 pm

but we cannot cheat and be successful . there are guys who copy content or use automated content creation or aggregation tools. There is nothing like automatic …. so need to be hard working …. and useful at all times

Sourish November 15, 2010 at 11:32 pm

one more addition here . sometimes even successful bloggers take things for granted . it happened to me and i felt lazy to add new stuff to the site …. to stay successful is harder than to achieve success that i have realized ….

Brandon November 24, 2010 at 5:35 am

But then what do you have to say about article spinners? I do not use them, but I know some people that do and are successful at it.

Brandon February 28, 2011 at 7:05 am

Right. And that’s why automated splogs don’t do as well as they used to. Even spinners are really worthless if you ask me. It’s always better to create your own unique content.

Basam November 10, 2010 at 1:22 pm

I have read the article in depth but a question have come in mind that if many of the people will try to access these niches what will be the effect on profit as every one here is in search of profit?

Brandon Connell November 10, 2010 at 9:50 pm

It does not matter how bloated a specific niche is. There is still money to be made, and every industry can handle competition without issue. It is simply a matter of traffic. Think about it like this. There are only 10 results on the first page of Google. So in one specific niche, would you tell me that only those 10 sites are making money? No. The millions of other sites are also getting traffic through various methods.

Matt November 10, 2010 at 9:44 pm

I think you need to have a real passion for the niche as well to be REALLY successful

Brandon Connell November 16, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Not really, unless it’s a blog Matt. Niche sites are a dime a dozen and can make you money even if you have no clue about the niche topic.

Usama November 15, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Agreed with Matt. If you aren’t dedicated to your work, whatever may be the niche, you can’t get successful. And dedication only comes through passion.
Thanks.

Brandon Connell November 16, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Sure you can be successful with any niche. That’s the whole point. If it isn’t your main blog, then you can easily monetize a niche site you know nothing about. It’s more about the demand more than anything.

Wez November 28, 2010 at 4:26 am

Good post. Many people go with wrong keywords because they are not profitable. You have to understand what people who type keywords wants, some informations or product? Thats the key to success.

Brandon February 28, 2011 at 7:07 am

Yes. I also go for highly competitive industries, and don’t stress like other people do about the competition.

Terje Sannarnes May 31, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Selecting the right and very profitable niche, where you can feel yourself as a professional, you will definitely manage to succeed in blogging. When people like what they do they usually succeed in their activities.
Terje Sannarnes recently posted..How Social Networks Can Change the Life on an Online EntrepreneurMy Profile

Michelle Sterling July 15, 2011 at 6:55 pm

I think setting up a poll is always so helpful. It can help a blog become even more efficient and user friendly. Our readers are the people who reads and explores our sites or blogs so I guess they’ll be better judges than our close ones who sees our work everyday and sees our work from our point of view.

Mike August 1, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Finding a profitable niche is really important to succeed as a blogger and as an Internet marketer. Some people say that we should choose a niche which we are aware about. I think that advise is not good because niches sometimes can’t be profitable. This is my opinion. Please give me your thoughts.

Dale December 12, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Research is a very very important part of getting started in online marketing. Like you said, It does not help to have a niche if you’re not going to get any traffic for it. Researching clikcbank is also a good idea because if there are no affiliate products for your niche that will make things even harder because you will have to create your own products!! Ouch

Great info and suggestions